About vivian romero
Vivian Romero shares why she is running for Senate. (video)
Meet Vivian Romero
As a Member of the Montebello City Council and past Mayor and Vice Mayor of her city, Vivian Romero has been a tenacious leader in protecting and improving the quality of life for every constituent.
Vivian is the first openly LGBTQ Councilmember of Montebello, and likewise was Montebello’s first openly LGBTQ Mayor. She is delighted to inspire others, as she has been inspired, to break historic barriers and pave the way for change and opportunity.
Transcendent issues tackled by the Councilmember in her governmental efforts and charitable enterprises include:
- Homelessness, anti-bullying, domestic violence, defending and advancing reproductive rights, environmentalism, public safety and gun violence, economic revitalization and job creation, support for labor, affordable health care and access for all to free, high-quality education.
Major initiatives she’s been a key part of have included
- Addressing homelessness through the San Gabriel Riverbed Task Force
- Clean air through the Advanced Clean Trucks Now Plan
- Infrastructural projects
- Creating Jobs
- Improvements along the SR-60 Freeway corridor through CalTrans Rehabilitation
- Renovation of the City of Montebello Veterans Memorial and Constitution Bicentennial Monument
- Making Montebello Downtown Plaza Senior Villas (affordable senior housing) ADA compliant.
Romero was elected in 2013 as a first-time candidate and has proved to be a distinguished champion for the city and communities she represents. She has also been a strong advocate for all cities and unincorporated areas throughout the 32nd State Senate District, having been President of the Independent Cities Association, comprised of 42 cities in Southern California. In addition, Romero is L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis’ appointed Alternate on the Metrolink Southern California Regional Rail Authority Board of Directors, and Chair of L.A. Metro’s San Gabriel Valley Service Council.
Vivian lives in Montebello with Shannan Calland, her partner of 16 years. They belong to Christian Assembly and Evergreen Baptist Churches. A lifelong local resident and daughter of a World War II veteran of the United States Navy, Vivian attended Montebello schools before studying at the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music. She then embarked on a 20 year career as a music industry professional, including creating and producing the theme song for the Emmy and Golden Globe winning television show “The Shield.” As a successful entrepreneur and small business owner, she has been a significant job creator and has also been an eloquent spokesperson for the arts and their place in our society and our schools.